Thursday, April 24, 2008

Goals/Reason Why

I think it would help to let others understand why I'm doing this. You can't be called crazy without acknowledging that there is indeed method to your madness.

Lets point out the obvious reasons

- It's good excercise! I enjoy biking
- Since I begun travelling, people always comment "Ah, good, do it while your young" Yeah, well, I'm still young. Better get 'er done while I'm still able to!
- I'm sick and tired of paying for vehicles, rising gas prices, and the constant repairs, especially considering my track record of broken down vehicles
- It's an amazing adventure! If you read other people's blogs on cycle touring (the correct term) you'll find yourself wondering why more people don't do it!

And now, the more personal reasons

- I'm tired of being left out. I've done Katimavik and CWY, and made amazing friends after 9, 6 months, only to have to say good bye and not expect to see them for a long time, if possibly never. People do not come through Hazelton, they have to go TO Hazelton. And NO ONE comes to Hazelton, that is, if they can find it. So it's my turn. I'm going to go visit my friends!
- Every time I travel, I come back with a deep appreciation for simple things: my community, my country, my friends, a comfortable bed even! You realize how much you miss things when you don't have them.
- I want to leave the technological world behind, or at least limit myself from it. I'm well aware I'll have a cell phone, be using the internet every chance I get. It's another thing I'd rather balance in life; too much access, too much temptation, a unhealthy lifestyle to constantly be attached to
- I want to help people. Ghandi said, "Be the change you want to see in the world" By doing this, I've already inspired people. It isn't even so much about the money I'm raising, it's why I'm doing it. I want to prove to people, that there are challenges in life, but it's about overcoming them. I'm not the smartest person, I'm not even the most fit. But I'm one determined little bugger to learn everything I need to know about bikes and to get into better shape, and to go across Canada. If I can accomplish this goal, then others can accomplish theirs!
- I want to become a better person. I've done group programs where I've depended on others, to help challenge or support me. This time, it's all me. If I can be disciplined enough to bike every day, cook my own food, do my own repairs, and remain motivated through rain or sunshine, then I know I'll become the person I want to be who can do anything. That kind of motivation will follow me for the rest of my life!

No comments: