Thursday, April 24, 2008

Why Am I Doing This?

Upon returning from China from my Canada World Youth Trip, I was a bit disappointed to find many youth in a deep depression. Alcohol abuse, dangerous drug use and even a rash of suicides plagued my hometown.

I hope to create and fund youth organizations around Hazelton and give back to a community that has given so much to me. I've seen youth activities, as simple as a weekly game, movie nights, community gardens or kitchens, keep teenagers focused and put them in an environment where they learned about healthy and active lifestyles. Sadly, our economy is fading fast, leading to a more dramatic need for programs like this.

With this trip across Canada, I hope to inspire youth to take on their potential leadership roles and create a program that will provide the youth of Hazelton with a structured organization that focuses on a healthy lifestyle, a deterent from drugs and alcohol. I want to see others take up this challenge and give back to a community that needs positive role models and youth encouraging youth.

Leadership, in its simplest form, is overcoming fear, and inspiring others to do so as well, and that’s what I hope to accomplish.

No comments: